Ally72

Ally72

Naked in Death - J.D. Robb I have found a new series that I love!!! This book totally surpassed all of my expectations that I had for it. I had not read any of Nora Roberts aka J.D. Robb's books so I was unsure of what I would think of it. I never expected to read my first book and be so surprised at the level of storytelling.
The book is set somewhat in the future in New York City (I was not certain I would like the future setting, but it works out great). There are not a lot of differences except the fun gadgets that have been developed to make life easier...It kind of reminded me of watching the "Jetson's" cartoon when I was younger.
Eve is a detective that is in charge of finding a serial murderer. One of the crimes involves a powerful senator's granddaughter so Eve is immediately told it is a highly sensitive case. It is at this point that she meets Roarke. Roarke...Roarke...Roarke...How do words describe this character that J.D. Robb has created? He instantly reminded me of another favorite character of mine from the "Fever" series by Karen Marie Moning...Barrons. I do not know what except I instantly liked him!
Eve and Roarke have an instant chemistry and the reader knows their relationship is going to be very special. In the beginning, Eve treats Roarke as a suspect, but soon figures out he had nothing to do with the murders.
Eve is a very hardnosed detective, but is quite vulnerable too. There are many layers to her that the first book just started uncovering. Roarke is also complex and I have a feeling it is going to take a lot of books before readers are ever going to learn all about him. I am so excited to have found a new series and I cannot wait to read the next one. Thank-you to all of my goodreads friends who suggested I start this series!!!